A Haunted World

For months I played with the A.I. generator Midjourney v3. Finetuning my command prompts to get as close as possible to my dreams, nightmares, and overall emotion of darkness. These creations, the visualization, were very therapeutic and helped me fight my burnout.

I went back to work at the end of August 2022. Half-November, unfortunately, I relapsed.


Just, well, something…

It has been quite a while since I posted something on this site. As some of you might know, I suffered from a second burnout. Lost it somewhere in September 2021 but started working again in the last week of August 2022. I had an easy start, 2 days of work, 2 days free at home, 1 day at work, and then the weekend.

Unfortunately, I did relapse and since November 21 I’m back at home. I do see this as losing an important battle but then again, one loses battles to, finally, win the war.

Also since half of June 2022, I have become kind of a complete recluse. I go out to shop, do my laundry, meet with very close ones, and, until recently, work.

Since that last post on this site in June, I have evolved as ‘an artist’ albeit I don’t look at myself as such.

Sure, I still make photographs, but not that much. I don’t do any video anymore and I am not active on my YouTube channel.

I moved on, walking a path that unfolds in front of me while I walk.

That path is one of self-education, going with the flow, following my (basic) needs… express myself.

Ghosts (2022) Mixed media to digital. 40 x 60 cm print

For a while, I played with DALLยทE 2 and MidJourney, both AI systems that can create realistic images and art from a description in natural language. A revelation.
And for a while, I felt comfortable with MidJourney because using a good description could generate the scenes of my dreams and nightmares. I posted quite some of these works on my IG page.

Then I started altering this AI-generated art, embracing the technology. But I wanted more. I craved uniqueness.

So today I work with paint, brayers, a gel plate, laser prints to pull a print, or other stuff and try to create a world of my own.

I’m quite happy with what I am making today. It is far away from my photography, yet I can incorporate it.

Some other work…

Woman (2022) This is kind of an hommage to American painter Andrew Wyeth. Mixed media to digital. 40 x 60 cm print

Kruiskensberg- Panorama

I don’t do panoramas very often. This consists of 5 shots with my Canon 5D Mark II and a Nikon 105mm f4 macro lens.

It is a 1.25m x 33 cm printable photo at full resolution.

Looking back I should have shot this vertically.

Panorama shot with my Canon 5D Mark II and a Nikon 105mm f4. This image can be printed at 1.25m x 33 cm. I’m happy with the result as making panoramas isn’t something I do often.

Thorn clad lichen (2021)

Shot during a walk, January 2022, Kesselse Heide, Belgium.

Cladonia uncialis is a species of fruticose, cup lichen in the family Cladoniaceae. It was first described as a new species by Swedish taxonomist Carl Linnaeus in 1753. It was transferred to the genus Cladonia by Friedrich Heinrich Wiggers in 1780. In North America, the lichen is colloquially known as the thorn Cladonia or the thorn cup lichen.

Larvae (2022)

Edited on June, 22 – 2022
One of my Instagram friends pointed out that the larvae in this image were Dock Leaf Bug larvae and not, as I thought, ladybug larvae.

May 25, 2022.
I got myself a mint second-hand Canon 5D Mark II.
Back in the day, November 2008, when it was released it was considered a ground-breaking camera. A full-frame camera with full HD (1920 x 1080) was, at that time, a revelation, embraced by many cinematographers. If I’m not mistaken an entire episode of Dr. House was shot with this camera.
It also made video attractive for photographers.

In an upcoming blog post, I’ll explain why I choose to get this “dated” camera. Before moving to MFT I’ve always been a Nikon fanboy. So yes, if I wanted a full-frame camera without breaking the bank I could have gone for de D700 (no video) or so.
But I didn’t.

I’ll be using the Canon 5D Mark II mainly for photography. Video, albeit good even today, is no match for my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K.

Yet, after some experimenting, it is not a bad B-roll camera.

I don’t own Canon glass so I’m using a few of my vintage lenses. Important is that these lenses have a Manual setting so I can set the diaphragm.

Canon 5D Mark II with an Auto Chinon 55mm f1.7 lens and a 20mm macro extension ring.

These are newly hatched Dock Leaf Bug larvae.