Monday, May 11th.
Still at home.
Last week it was lower back pains. I’ve learned to live with it since a kid but it becomes worser.
Now it is a bacterial respiratory infection.
I don’t like to think about it but it is hard not to. After all I am getting older and thus my time I have left is shortening. Guess I have to try to make the best of it.
Past Saturday I picked up an Olympus OM-1 (1973) for 10 euro. The seller told me it was in a closet when he bought the house 10 years ago. He said he had never touched the gear.
I pushed the shutter button and the camera reacted. This means the shutter had been ready for release for a decade. Not that good. I had also some thoughts on the light sealing. The back of the camera was sticky because it’s case had leaked molten glue. There was a distinct smell of age and mould too.
This morning I went to the drugstore and got some 1,4V hearing aid batteries to fire up the light meter of the Olympus OM-1. The OM-1 takes in fact 1,35 V mercury batteries but they are banned.
Loaded an old and expired Kodak Tri-X 400 and made some shots and developed the strip. The negatives were extremely thin. Age of the film? Bad light meter?
Later this afternoon I loaded the remainder of the Tri-X rating it at + 1/3 and developing it at 10 minutes and got some workable albeit thin negatives. I am not sure if it is the expired Tri-X or a faulty camera but I’ll be shooting some Ilford FP4 Plus very soon with this camera.
No light leaks and the exposure very consistent.
A shot of a couple of ducks. Nothing special and, in my opinion, not an ideal subject for black and white.