Yesterday I shot a role of very expired Kodak Tri-X simply because I needed to get out the house and wanted to test my recently acquired Olympus OM-1.
Back home I developed the film for about 12 minutes and it came out rather fine. The negatives were still rather underexposed but the came out ok after scanning. Expired film is full of surprises.
It was only this morning, while waking up, that the thought dawned to me that maybe there was more to it than an expired film.
After my first cup of coffee I took out my light meter and checked the values with what the Olympus OM-1 read.
Sure enough the camera’s light meter was little over 2 stops off!
I find it hard to believe this is caused by a 1.40V battery rather than 1.35V.
When I got the camera the shutter was ready to be fired and had been so for 10 years. Maybe there is something wrong with the shutter timing.
So this morning I sacrificed half a roll of Ilford FP4 Plus telling the camera is was a 32 ISO rather than 125 ISO. The shots came out fine.
Later on I went for another short trip and I think I made some great shots. While I am writing this the film is being rinsed but a quick peek tells me the exposures are all correct. While I was at it I also tested the X-sync with one of my studio flashes. That to was very ok.
So now I have 4 working Olympus camera’s and some good to excellent glass.
This is one of the underexposed images I made yesterday in the late evening.