Somewhere at the end of May 2020, my first trip shooting with my new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. Almost a wind still day so many of the shots look like photographs extended in time.
Past Sunday was a cold and gray and rainy day. September is coming to an end, October is already knocking at the door.
So I looked at those first clips, most of them I never showed, and decided to give them a makeover.
Using the tools in DaVinci Resolve, adding more controlled changes using Power windows I tried to make this footage as “cinematic” as I could.
I haven’t been shooting as much with this camera as quarantine rules rightly so still rule.
Besides, like a zillion reviews can be found on Youtube.
My needs are not that high so I shoot one step (12:1) above the highest compression rate in BRaw, 8:1. Still the files are huge.
One of the first things I ordered was a 6 TB hard disk to accommodate the files I shoot.
The dual ISO chart is crystal clear when you understand it and knowing about Ansell Adam’s zone systems helps a lot to understand the principle.
I bought the camera secondhand with a case, a handle, an external SSD Samsung T5 and a battery plate to accommodate Sony NPF batteries. So I have no issues when it comes to battery or storage.
But let the above be utterly unimportant. Because what really counts is the image quality.
When exposed correctly with the right ISO, image quality is simply unbelievable gorgeous.
Haven’t done much lately. Been suffering from some mid-life crisis stuff, mostly about where I am in life at this moment in time. It was about work, photography and not about my life with Sweetheart. The latter is near to perfection. I can not recall having felt so happy, so complete and so much in love ever before.
Tomorrow is my last day at work and then I’m home for two whole weeks. Little A. is staying with me but I hope I’ll have some time to myself so I can go out and shoot.
Then back to work for 3 weeks and then again a two week holiday with Little A. staying at my place.
There will be a new kid on the block too, starting this evening if what I see is okay and in working order. More on that later.
Yesterday I shot a role of very expired Kodak Tri-X simply because I needed to get out the house and wanted to test my recently acquired Olympus OM-1.
Back home I developed the film for about 12 minutes and it came out rather fine. The negatives were still rather underexposed but the came out ok after scanning. Expired film is full of surprises.
It was only this morning, while waking up, that the thought dawned to me that maybe there was more to it than an expired film.
After my first cup of coffee I took out my light meter and checked the values with what the Olympus OM-1 read.
Sure enough the camera’s light meter was little over 2 stops off!
I find it hard to believe this is caused by a 1.40V battery rather than 1.35V.
When I got the camera the shutter was ready to be fired and had been so for 10 years. Maybe there is something wrong with the shutter timing.
So this morning I sacrificed half a roll of Ilford FP4 Plus telling the camera is was a 32 ISO rather than 125 ISO. The shots came out fine.
Later on I went for another short trip and I think I made some great shots. While I am writing this the film is being rinsed but a quick peek tells me the exposures are all correct. While I was at it I also tested the X-sync with one of my studio flashes. That to was very ok.
So now I have 4 working Olympus camera’s and some good to excellent glass.
This is one of the underexposed images I made yesterday in the late evening.